Monday, September 29, 2014

the great race recap.
This was my first Great Race, and i couldnt be happier with my experience. This course a 10k, its on the fast side, because you loss a few hundred feet of elevation. It still has its challenges. you start off on a good climb from Frick park to Sq.Hill, then the course goes downhill into Oakland. On my way down forbes around cmu, i felt a pinch on the elbow, it was my friend jeni. She is good runner and didnt take long before she was out of my sights. At that point i was feeling really good. i was running the race with my cousin jordan. We both had a goal of 10 min miles. We are very large men. He estimated his weight at 263 on race day. And i was at 254. He is a mountain of muscles, very, very strong. I smoked him in the first 10 k i ever ran, it was also my first race ever. It was the week before the pgh marathon, on the montour trail. That being said i knew he was coming for vengence, we are super competitive with each other. At mile 2 i increased the pace. Jordan kept me from running to fast and i would be thanking him later. We came out of Oakland and a band playing on the side of the road started into "happy". And i was...until we turned the corner and the music faded and i seen a sea of color, climbing a huge hill, up the BLVD of the Allies past Duquesne University. This is when i learned a valuable lesson on energy management. After the climb i was spent. I had used up all the reserves.i was running on fumes. As we got into the city i got a burst of adrenaline and picked up the pace, jordan pushed hard and i couldnt keep his pace. I finished with a 1:01.15. my goal was 10 min miles i ran, 9:51 miles. I did really good i think. I didnt respect  this race and train proper for it. most of the last 2 months ive half assed training. But thats all over. Next up, the 10 miler.

3 comments:

  1. The blvd is what can make or break you in that race. If you have energy in the tank you can cruise to the finish if you are tired then it's going to be a long up hill battle. Always one of my favorite races with an awesome crowd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Tom... One thing: from now on let me proof read your entries. You have the grammar of a Russian immigrant. Haha I kid! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did awesome. Nice job with the pace!! You've been making steady improvements. The ten miler is much smaller, we will definitely hang out beforehand! :)

    ReplyDelete